Cooper & Co are basically involved in two types of activities, 100% of our activities are focused on tech startups with global potential –
- Commercial activities – investing and consulting
- For purpose activities – volunteering and advocacy
Underpinning these activities are our distinctive capabilities, this page is a work in progress that explains how those capabilities work.
- Venture Network
- The Industry Body
Our Venture Network
Each member is invited to join based on active involvement in the industry, professional expertise, trust (including reputation and length of relationship with other members), network, geography and other measures. We are actively working towards a diverse, global, high trust, high speed of operation, low bureaucracy environment.
Each member is expected to give and get in a few areas, all are entirely discretionary and we are actively trying to ‘work the way we want, when we want’ life is too short to do otherwise .
You give –
- Time to review deals – this is surprisingly low time commit because we only send deals that have already been screened for major filters.
- Time to share insights and connections in your geographies of experience and industry specialisation to other members and investee firms.
- Time to identify new deals and new investors. Most network members would being doing this daily as part of their day job and this is just a useful by product that can usually work both ways to the benefit of their own firms and the network.
- Opportunities to do mentoring for investee firm founders and also a volunteer basis to grow the ecosystem and give back.
You get –
- Hyperconnected to an already hyperconnected group that is world class and based in the most populated region with the fastest growth and focused on the fastest growing segments. All have day jobs that keep them in the centre of the industry action.
- Opportunities to invest as an angel or as part of an angel syndicate or in the fund (and in certain cases alongside the fund)
- Rewarded for giving time on specific deals by sharing in the upside as an investor, eventually we also expect to pay fund fee profit share to network contributors but this may be some time away. Longer term we hope these will be full time roles for all or most network members.
- Excellent visibility on industry deal flow, talent, trends, investments, regulatory changes and more we see hundreds each month.
You may pick and chose from the above based on how busy you are with your day job from time to time but if there are particular areas you definitely can not contribute (e,g. employer contractual commitments) please let us know in writing so expectation are clear in advance.
We are thinking very long term, e.g. senior execs from global firms are aware of and wish to join the network but are waiting for role / contractual changes or life circumstances to change prior to making the commitment.
We are building a platform of simple tools so much of this can be done online easily via our intranet.
The Industry Body
For two decades we have quietly and persistently been identifying gaps in the tech startup ecosystem in Australia determined to help make it world class. This started with specific roles by our founder at Macquarie Bank at eDivision and continued with other institutions and eventually running some significant tech startups. This continued with our own initiatives like SydStart and supporting others like accelerators and co-working communities.
But all these activities fall under the banner of The Start Society (StartSoc), an independent grass roots member based organisation to support tech startups aiming globally.
We are always looking for new members and new volunteers to support StartSoc’s activities from speakers and sponsors to mentors and discounts/deals for members to simple insights that will benefit members.